Special Education Program
Joseph Le Conte Middle School
I would like to welcome students and family to my classroom and I look forward to a successful school year together.
My Academic Support Classes are in Room 405. My schedule is as follows:
. Homeroom/Advisory 8th grade)
. Period 1: Science 8 w/ Ms. Daduryan Room 271
. Period 2: English 8 w/ Mr. Valdez Room 109
. Period 3: Academic Math Support 8
. Period 4: Conference
. Period 5: Math 8 w/ Ms. Perez Room 111
. Period 6: Conference
. Period 7: Academic English Support 8
. Period 8: History 8 w/ Mr. Darce Room 303
Student is expected to have all the necessary supplies for class. These include:
- Three-ring binder with paper, multi- subject or single notebook for my Math and Science class.
- A portfolio folder to be checked for assignments / notes
- Any combination of 3 writing instruments: lead pencils with eraser or separate eraser. Pens (blue or black only for student work). A personal pencil sharpener is highly recommended. GOLF Pencils are not acceptable for MATH or SCIENCE,
- No Sharpie or permanent pens/markers
- A backpack for safekeeping of school; supplies and personal items. Any work turned in folded up more than 1 fold / messy/ stained / or crumbled will be given back to be redone to get credit.
- Please note! Items brought to class that are not permitted or become a distraction in class will be removed from student’s possession and will be returned to student at end of the day or if necessary, will be required to be picked up by an adult.
- Students who are defiant in relinquishing items in any way will be deemed a security risk, and student/ belongings may be subject to being searched.
Grades for my Support Classes are based on:
- Class work / participation =40%
- Projects/ Performance =30%
- Quizzes/tests =20%
- Homework =10%
Support Class grades are based on Mastery Grading 4 point system:
- A =80-100%
- B = 60-79%
- C = 40-59%
- D = 20-39%
- F = 19%or less
CONSEQUENCES FOR BREAKING RULES – PROGRESSIVE STRIKE SYSTEM
- 1ST STRIKE - YOU WILL RECEIVE A VERBAL WARNING
- 2ND STRIKE – NAME ON BOARD CONFERENCE WITH STUDENT
- 3RD STRIKE – DETENTION 10 MIN AFTER SCHOOL CONTACT PARENT
- 4TH STRIKE – PARENT NOTIFIED /AFTER SCHOOL DETENTION 3X
- 5TH STRIKE - PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCE.
- 6TH STRIKE - REFERRAL TO THE COUNSELING OFFICE, INTERVENTION OFFICE, or A SUSPENSION FROM CLASS.
My philosophy for teaching is straightforward in that all our kids have a right to a quality education and it is up to us to meet their needs. We should lead and teach them to be the best they can and get them engaged in this whole learning process. It’s important to remember that there is a social development component of teaching that we must not overlook. We are their teachers, role models, coaches and cheerleaders. Together we will help them succeed in school and life and that in it can be our greatest reward. I look forward to sharing the many adventures in the year ahead for each and every student.
Course Description: Each class is listed with an outline of content covered in class. Standards for each class can be found at www.cde.ca.gov
The SDC Co- Teach Program provides instruction and services to students who are assigned to general education classrooms for their core classes. The goal is to enable these students to have exposure and success in the general education environment. The program provides assistance in a variety of ways depending on the needs of each particular student. The course content is designed to meet each student’s educational needs and allow for appropriate modifications and accommodations that will fulfil their Individual Education Plans (IEP).
The Academic Support Classes are designed to support students in their General Ed core classes. SDC students will have time to complete assignments, preview and review lessons, clarify classwork and allow for accommodations/modifications of assignments. We will maximize our time in working towards completing the work necessary for maximizing learning, passing the classes , and culminating at the end of school year.
Homeroom/Advisory is treated as educational time and students will be given assignments accordingly. These assignments promote participation, test taking skills, reading/ speaking skills, and life skills to foster personal development.
I look forward to assisting each student on his or her way to culmination and continued success.
Students and student work will be photographed for the purpose of sharing our Successes in the classroom and at Le Conte M.S. This can be showcased on Class Dojo, School websites, Teacher page, and yearbook. Otherwise any photos taken will be used only to document classroom activities and accountability. Students who take photos WITHOUT consent or permission by Mr. Lesjak, will have the photo(s) removed from their phone.